Five years ago I recommitted myself to taking care of myself again by doing at least one thing a day that made me feel better about myself and cared for. That’s an entire story in itself…
Though I’ve kept my promise to myself for over 5 years, life doesn’t always go as planned. If you’re human, I’m sure you’re already aware of this. This is when we lose ourselves the most. When life gets hectic when our hearts are broken when we’re overwhelmed or lost. And YET, this is the most crucial time to care for ourselves. We must set the tone to enable ourselves to THRIVE in any situation we are put in, good or bad, rather than just trying to survive through it.
If you’re short on time and life is crazy and unpredictable, try these 14 hacks. They don’t take much time, but somehow, make us feel much better (and, BEAUTIFUL).
1. If you’re unsure of your schedule, do yoga anywhere. And most of all, find your breath. I use an app called FIT VID YOGA and I follow YOGA WITH ADRIENE on YouTube. Both are amazing and range from 5 mins to 2 hours. Yoga at your fingertips.
2. Take a couple of minutes to drench your body in oil after a shower. Massage upward in long strokes. Not only does this get your circulation going, but you’ll be hydrated as well 🙂
3. Throw on a scalp treatment and/or hair mask before going to bed. This takes 2 minutes at most and I’m always thankful the next morning 👌🏼
4. Set your alarm 10 minutes earlier and start your day off in prayer or meditation. Those will be the most well spent 10 minutes of your day.
5. As soon as you wake up (YES EVEN BEFORE COFFEE) wash your face and throw on a facial mask. Then, head to the coffee machine and do your usual routine. Everything is better when you start your day off with glowing skin ☺️
6. Use essential oils in a diffuser or light candles (everyone laughs at my candle addiction until you try it🤩). Nothing beats a well-made candle. It literally does something to my SOUL💕
7. Never go to sleep ugly. Yes, I said it. Whether you’re married, single, dating your dog, don’t wear something to bed you would be embarrassed about. There is something soothing about changing into soft, comfy, beautiful PJs that feel amazing against your skin. Plus, it’s a trap when you start being frumpy. Your significant other may not care but your mind and attitude feed off the way you care for yourself. Mark my words ✋🏼
8. Drink Water. Simple, yet important.
9. Take 5 minutes to drink healthy tea or collagen. Take your supplements. Feed your body something it needs.
10. Help someone. Do a good deed. Make someone else feel good. When you’re hurting the most, take a second to help someone else. Your brain hears, “I’m hurting, but I am still capable.” Your soul and mind will thank you. And someone else might too ❤️
11. Apply hydrating cream to your feet and hands before bed.
12. Take a couple of extra minutes applying your skincare. Before each product (except exfoliating products) spritz your toner on your skin, apply the product and massage. Not only are you doing something good for your skin, lymph, and circulation, you’re taking the extra time to penetrate your products in deeper.
13. Journal your thoughts. Even if you push delete.
14. Most importantly, it takes a second to stop and give thanks for even the smallest moments that you’re able to take for yourself. Be thankful for the moment.